cert-manager is the easiest way to automatically manage certificates in Kubernetes and OpenShift clusters.
This is the 1.13 release of cert-manager!
Welcome to these new cert-manager members (more info - https://github.com/cert-manager/cert-manager/pull/6260):
Thanks again to all open-source contributors with commits in this release, including:
Thanks also to the following cert-manager maintainers for their contributions during this release:
Equally thanks to everyone who provided feedback, helped users and raised issues on Github and Slack and joined our meetings!
Special thanks to @AcidLeroy for adding "load options from a versioned config file" support for the cert-manager controller! This has been on our wishlist for a very long time. (see https://github.com/cert-manager/cert-manager/pull/5337)
Also, thanks a lot to @FlorianLiebhart for adding support for DNS over HTTPS for the ACME DNS self-check. This is very useful in case all traffic must be HTTP(S) trafic, eg. when using a HTTPS_PROXY. (see https://github.com/cert-manager/cert-manager/pull/5003)
In addition, massive thanks to Venafi for contributing developer time and resources towards the continued maintenance of cert-manager projects.
Changes since v1.12.0
- Add support for logging options to webhook config file. (#6243, @inteon)
- Add view permissions to the well-known (Openshift) user-facing
cluster-readeraggregated cluster role (#6241, @erikgb)
- Certificate Shim: distinguish dns names and ip address in certificate (#6267, @zhangzhiqiangcs)
- Cmctl can now be imported by third parties. (#6049, @SgtCoDFish)
enableServiceLinksconfigurable for all Deployments and
startupapicheckJob in Helm chart. (#6292, @ubergesundheit)
- Promoted the StableCertificateRequestName and SecretsFilteredCaching feature gates to Beta (enabled by default). (#6298, @inteon)
- The cert-manager controller options are now configurable using a configuration file. (#5337, @AcidLeroy)
- The pki CertificateTemplate functions now perform validation of the CSR blob, making sure we sign a Certificate that matches the IsCA and (Extended)KeyUsages that are defined in the CertificateRequest resource. (#6199, @inteon)
- [helm] Add prometheus.servicemonitor.endpointAdditionalProperties to define additional properties on a ServiceMonitor endpoint, e.g. relabelings (#6110, @jkroepke)
- DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is now possible for doing the self-checks during the ACME verification.
The DNS check method to be used is controlled through the command line flag:
--dns01-recursive-nameservers-only=truein combination with
https://184.108.40.206/dns-query). It keeps using DNS lookup as a default method. (#5003, @FlorianLiebhart)
Bug or Regression
- Allow overriding default pdb .minAvailable with .maxUnavailable without setting .minAvailable to null (#6087, @rouke-broersma)
cmctl check api --wait 0exited without output and exit code 1; we now make sure we perform the API check at least once and return with the correct error code (#6109, @inteon)
- BUGFIX: the issuer and certificate-name annotations on a Secret were incorrectly updated when other fields are changed. (#6147, @inteon)
- BUGFIX[cainjector]: 1-character bug was causing invalid log messages and a memory leak (#6232, @inteon)
- Fix CloudDNS issuers stuck in propagation check, when multiple instances are issuing for the same FQDN (#6088, @cypres)
- Fix indentation of Webhook NetworkPolicy matchLabels in helm chart. (#6220, @ubergesundheit)
- Fixed Cloudflare DNS01 challenge provider race condition when validating multiple domains (#6191, @Richardds)
- Fixes a bug where webhook was pulling in controller's feature gates.
⚠️ ⚠️ BREAKING ⚠️ ⚠️ : If you deploy cert-manager using helm and have
.featureGatesvalue set, the features defined there will no longer be passed to cert-manager webhook, only to cert-manager controller. Use
webhook.featureGatesfield instead to define features to be enabled on webhook.
Potentially breaking: If you were, for some reason, passing cert-manager controller's features to webhook's
--feature-gatesflag, this will now break (unless the webhook actually has a feature by that name). (#6093, @irbekrm)
- Fixes an issue where cert-manager would incorrectly reject two IP addresses as being unequal when they should have compared equal. This would be most noticeable when using an IPv6 address which doesn't match how Go's
net.IP.String()function would have printed that address. (#6293, @SgtCoDFish)
- We disabled the
enableServiceLinksoption for our ACME http solver pods, because the option caused the pod to be in a crash loop in a cluster with lot of services. (#6143, @schrodit)
- ⚠️ possibly breaking: Webhook validation of CertificateRequest resources is stricter now: all KeyUsages and ExtendedKeyUsages must be defined directly in the CertificateRequest resource, the encoded CSR can never contain more usages that defined there. (#6182, @inteon)
Other (Cleanup or Flake)
- A subset of the klogs flags have been deprecated and will be removed in the future. (#5879, @maelvls)
- All service links in helm chart deployments have been disabled. (#6144, @schrodit)
- Cert-manager will now re-issue a certificate if the public key in the latest CertificateRequest resource linked to a Certificate resource does not match the public key of the key encoded in the Secret linked to that Certificate resource (#6168, @inteon)
- Chore: When hostNetwork is enabled, dnsPolicy is now set to ClusterFirstWithHostNet. (#6156, @kahirokunn)
- Cleanup the controller configfile structure by introducing sub-structs. (#6242, @inteon)
- Don't run API Priority and Fairness controller in webhook's extension apiserver (#6085, @irbekrm)
- Helm: Add apache 2.0 license annotation (#6225, @arukiidou)
- Make apis/acme/v1/ACMEIssuer.PreferredChain optional in JSON serialization. (#6034, @gdvalle)
- The SecretPostIssuancePolicyChain now also makes sure that the
cert-manager.io/alt-names, ... annotations on Secrets are kept at their correct value. (#6176, @inteon)
- The cmctl logging has been improved and support for json logging has been added. (#6247, @inteon)
- Updates Kubernetes libraries to
v0.27.2. (#6077, @lucacome)
- Updates Kubernetes libraries to
v0.27.4. (#6227, @lucacome)
- We now only check that the issuer name, kind and group annotations on a Secret match in case those annotations are set. (#6152, @inteon)
- 🔍View and search all cert-manager releases.
- 🛠️Create and share lists to track your tools.
- 🚨Setup notifications for major, security, feature or patch updates.
- 🚀Much more coming soon!