kOps - v1.20.2
kOps 1.20.2 is the latest in the 1.20 series, with support for kubernetes 1.20.
Default container runtime is now set to
containerdfor new clusters running Kubernetes 1.20.0+.
Added experimental Azure support. To get started check the docs
Default settings for AWS instances are updated to take advantage of recent performance and security features:
- Default etcd volumes encryption changes to enabled for newly created clusters
- Default root volume encryption changes to enabled
- Default etcd volumes type changes from
- Default root volume type changes from
Added template funtions for kubernetes version based on channel data.
kOps now use helm3 functions for merging template
--valuesarguments. This has slightly different behaviour than previous helm2-like logic.
Following kubeadm, control plane nodes are now labelled with
Default node image for GCE changed from COS to Ubuntu for K8s versions >= 1.18.0. This is to more closely align with the AWS implementation (the most mature support) and because COS limits the ability to modify files on its disk.
Support for Kubernetes 1.11 and 1.12 has been removed.
Support for Terraform version 0.11 has been removed.
Support for the feature flag
Terraform-0.12has been removed. All generated Terraform HCL2/JSON files will support versions
If you are using the Calico network plugin in a cross-subnet setup, you may have to manually remove the AWS Source/Dest Check controller (
k8s-ec2-srcdst) deployment that was previously deprecated and replaced with the new awsSrcDstCheck feature.
If you are using self-hosted channels files, you have to add the new
architectureIDfield, with one of the
If you are running
kops toolbox templatein an airgapped environment, you have to set
--channelto point to a local channel file.
If your workload targets control plane nodes, you need to change them to select the
node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane=""label. You should also add the
node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane:NoScheduletoleration to these workloads. This taint will not be added to control plane nodes before kOps 1.22.
Support for Kubernetes versions 1.13 and 1.14 are deprecated and will be removed in kOps 1.21.
The manifest based metrics server addon has been deprecated in favour of a configurable addon.
The manifest based cluster autoscaler addon has been deprecated in favour of a configurable addon.
kubernetes.io/rolelabels are deprecated and will be removed from control plane nodes in kOps 1.22
The experimental node-authorizer that could be enabled using
nodeAuthorizationhas been removed. Setting this value is now forbidden.
Due to lack of maintainers, the Aliyun/Alibaba Cloud support has been deprecated. The current implementation will be left as-is until the implementation needs updates or otherwise becomes incompatible. At that point, it will be removed. We very much welcome anyone willing to contribute to this cloud provider.
Support for AWS LaunchConfiguration has been deprecated and will be removed in kOps 1.21.
Full Change List Since 1.20.1
- Update containerd to v1.4.6 @hakman #11535
- Allow cert-manager to be provisioned externally @codablock #11354
- upup: gcetasks: force send AutoCreateSubnetworks field when set to false @nicktrav #11457
- [metrics-server] Bump manifest to latest stable @dntosas,@hakman #11319
- Allow Spotinst to use comma separated instance types @hakman #11560
- Only update kubeconfig user when we have user info @justinsb #11584
- Add init image field for Amazon VPC CNI @ryan-dyer #11602
- Fix duplicate CopyFile tasks @johngmyers #11619
- Use the OnDelete updateStrategy for AWS VPC CNI DaemonSet @johngmyers #11590
- Consolidate CSI livenessprobe images for multi-arch support @rifelpet #11652
- Fix set-version leaving backup files with "-e" suffix @johngmyers #11691
- Add support for Docker v20.10.7 @hakman #11674
- Bump the cas addon version. @olemarkus #11780
Please see the release notes for the full list of changes.
- 🔍View and search all kOps releases.
- 🛠️Create and share lists to track your tools.
- 🚨Setup notifications for major, security, feature or patch updates.
- 🚀Much more coming soon!